Edward Carlstrom, MD
(also known as “doc Ed”)
I’ve been practicing medicine for 45 years, after graduating from St Louis University with a Doctor of Medicine degree. I worked in Urgent Care for most of my career, but during the past 15 years my specialties are addiction medicine, psychiatry and pain management.
I am patient oriented, doing the best for the patient and not for my own financial gain. I treat opiate addictions with Buprenophine (Suboxone) and injectable Naltrexone, and I have extensive experience treating anxiety, depression and pain management.
- University: University of Washington. Degree: Bachelor of Science in Chemistry
- Medical School: St Louis University. Degree: Medical Doctor. Vice President of sophomore class.
- Residency / Internship: Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital. Rotating with emphasis on surgery.
Oscar Espinosa, MD
- University: National Academy of the Capital, Asuncion, Paraguay. Degree: Bachelor of Science
- Medical School: University of Asuncion School of Medicine, Asuncion, Paraguay. Degree: Doctor of Medicine and Surgery
- Residencies: Hospital of the School of Medicine, Asuncion, Paraguay; Mercy Catholic Medical Center, Darby Pennsylvania; Episcopal Hospital, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Carlstrom Family Practice, Sarasota Florida, since 2013 (Medical Doctor), pain management, Suboxone/Subutex
Lakewood Ranch Family Practice, Sarasota Florida, since 2013 (Medical Director), family practice
Med-Florida Health Services, Sarasota Florida, since 2005 (Medical Director), personal injury
- Internal medicine
- Pain management, Suboxone/Subutex
Manelle Fernando, MD
Dr. Manelle Fernando is Board Certified in Bariatrics and specializes in Anti-Aging and Hormone treatments and cosmetic medicine. She has many years of experience and is passionate about prevention.
She is a member of the International Hormone Society and uses bioidentical hormones to treat her patients very effectively and naturally.
Dr. Fernando keeps herself updated on cosmetic treatments and trained in Paris, London and the US.
Sue Nielsen, MD
Dr. Nielsen has been board-certified with the American Board of Family Medicine since 2000, and is active in numerous medical affiliations.
She has a background in nutrition, plant-based diets, yoga and exercise, and has done volunteer work in several animal-advocacy groups in the Sarasota area.
Dr. Nielsen is a member of:
- Florida Academy of Family Physicians
- American Academy of Family Physicians
- Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine.
- University: University of Minnesota, Carlson School of Management. Bachelor of Science degree in Business, Marketing emphasis. Honors graduate.
- Medical School: University of Minnesota, School of Medicine. AOA (Alpha Omega Alpha, granted to top students) graduate.
- Residency: University of Minnesota, Family Practice Residency
Carlstrom Family Practice, Sarasota Florida, since 2019
Fairview Health Services, Wyoming, Minnesota, 1998 to 2019: Physician Advisor, Lead Physician and Urgent Care Physician
Target Stores, Minneapolis, Minnesota, 2007 to 2014: Supervising Physician
Zipnosis, Minneapolis, Minnesota, 2012
Nutrition, meditation and exercise
Michael W. Shaughnessy, MA
Michael W. Shaughnessy is a Licensed Mental Health Counselor with over 30 years’ experience in the mental health field. He provides services for various diagnoses and issues, with extensive experience treating addictive illness.
Mr. Shaughnessy gives exceptional care for people suffering with depression, anxiety, or traumatic injury from past physical, sexual, or emotional abuse.
His main focus here at Carlstrom Family Practice is to help our patients begin the process of long-term recovery from substance abuse by educating them about what recovery entails and informing them about the common pitfalls on that journey.